Sharing Our Legacy of Challenge and Growth
In March 1972, the ground was broken on an empty stretch of beach in Ulsan to construct what would become the world's largest shipyard. Hyundai then started building the two oil tankers and the shipyard simultaneously.
Two years later, in 1974, Hyundai held a ceremony to simultaneously name the two tankers and dedicate the shipyard.
Capturing the imagination of the international maritime community, the event was a historic first step for KSOE.
- Developed HiMSEN marine diesel engine
- Produced the 1,000th propeller
- Public listing on the Korean Stock Exchange
- Achieved 50 million DWT in ship construction
- Established Hyundai Electro-Mechanical Research Institute (HEMRI)
- Delivered LNG carrier